Warrington Town came from behind to win 3-1 against a Morpeth Town side that played more than half the game with an outfield player in goal.

Morpeth goalkeeper Dan Lowson was controversially sent off minutes before the interval, but the Highwaymen took the lead with 10 men five minutes after the restart.

An immediate response by Sean Williams from the penalty spot got the Yellows back on track, before Josh Amis was the match winner once again bagging a brace.

In a first half where the Yellows saw a lot of the ball, it was Morpeth who had the best two chances.

Johnson ghosted in from a Liam Noble free-kick to force a superb point blank stop out of Dan Atherton with a header.

The Morpeth top scorer had the beating of Atherton from a tight angle on 19 minutes, only to see his effort bounce back off the inside of the far post and in to Atherton’s arms.

Warrington had to wait half an hour for their first real sight of goal, Matt Grivosti’s diagonal run latching on to Sean Williams’ measured ball in to the box.

Grivosti rounded Lowson, who did enough to knock the winger off balance and when the ball settled, his shot was headed off the line by Joe Walton.

Walton would be the outfield player forced to don the gloves when the game’s flashpoint occurred three minutes before half time.

As Lowson waited on the edge of his box, the wind held up a long ball forward and Amis got to it first, poking it beyond the ‘keeper and the two collided with both ending up on the floor in the box.

After consulting with his assistant, and as everyone in the ground awaited which way the free-kick would go, referee Richard Abson pulled out a red card to the bemusement of the Morpeth side.

With no ‘keeper on the bench, Walton went in goal and immediately saved from Stefan Mols’ resulting free-kick.

Fired up by what they saw as an injustice, Morpeth started the second half brightly and took the lead five minutes after the break.

A sloppy clearance by Atherton was compounded by a soft corner being conceded, and from it Johnson powered home a header from an excellent Noble delivery for 1-0.

The Yellows had barely had a sight at goal until then, but were level within two minutes.

Mark Roberts somehow hit the bar from two yards out when well placed, and from the ensuing scramble, Conor Oliver was penalised for a handball after inexplicably sticking his hand up in the centre of the box.

Up stepped Williams and the hosts were level within two minutes.

It was the introduction of new loan signing Isaac Buckley-Ricketts on 65 minutes that sparked the game back into life.

With his first involvement, he proved too strong for Morpeth left-back Wayne Phillips and then served the ball up on a platter with a near post cross from the right for Amis to sweep home for 2-1.

Amis should have made the game safe on 76 minutes when Luke Duffy put him in, his shot hitting the outside of the far post.

But he did get the crucial third, and his second, seven minutes from time.

This time Buckley-Ricketts laid the ball off for James Baillie, and he picked his spot with a cross along the goalmouth for Amis to divert home.

The Yellows now have 10 days to wait until their next game – away at Morpeth Town, for what promises to be a spicy reunion.

Warrington Town: Atherton, Baillie, Coulton, Hough (Harris), Roberts, Gumbs, Mackreth (Buckley-Ricketts), Williams, Amis, Mols, Grivosti (Duffy). Unused subs: Duggan, Murray.

Morpeth Town: Lowson, Walton, Phillips, Oliver (Forster), J Henderson, Turner, Ramsay (Geliher), Noble, L Henderson, Donaldson, Johnson. Unused subs: Morris, Wales.

Get kitted out in the latest Yellows merchandise by visiting our club shop.