Mark Beesley: We weren’t at the races

Warrington Town manager Mark Beesley admits his players could have no complaints with coming out on the wrong side of a 2-0 scoreline at Spennymoor Town on Tuesday night.

The Yellows entered the latest midweek round of fixtures as the division’s most in-form team, but a fine display from Moors – capped off by first half goals from Lebrun Mbeka then Reece Staunton on the stroke of half-time – proved enough to see them move seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Beesley’s side improved after the break but failed to trouble the scoreboard, with Dec Walker and returning captain Josh Amis going closest.

Reflecting on the performance of his side post-match, Beesley said: “I think the first 45 minutes is as poor as we’ve been all season. We couldn’t get to grips with them.

DONATE: Yellows Groundfunder

“I don’t think they overly hurt us, but they had energy and enthusiasm and we weren’t at the races. As good as we’ve been of late and all season, that first 45 minutes was poor as a team and individually.

“In this league you get punished, but we gave really preventable goals away and that’s probably the biggest criticism.

“Although we weren’t at it, we had to try and get in at 0-0 so we could change a few things. The second goal is definitely a killer, and it gave us a mountain to climb.

“We had a right go in the second half. We probably rushed Josh Amis back today, and in another few weeks, he probably takes both of the chances he had.

“We could have had a penalty as well, so we did cause them problems. There was a little bit of a reaction, but when you’re 2-0 down and chasing things, it’s tough.”

Beesley was forced to rotate his midfield for Tuesday’s game at Brewery Field as Jay Harris and Matty McDonald dropped to the bench, in the only two changes from Saturday’s fine 3-0 win at Curzon Ashton.

SHOP NOW: Yellows merchandise

The Town boss admits the decision not to start the pair was a precautionary measure, with Harris still on the way back from a long-term injury and McDonald currently nursing a hamstring niggle.

“[Matty] was touch-and-go to play on Saturday and he got through 70 minutes. With the injury he’s picked up, we have to be careful with him,” Beesley admitted.

“It’s the same with Jay Harris – he’s had a bad injury that we have to monitor and look after. We’ve got to make sure he’s available for more games than he’s not.”

Match reaction is brought to you by Platinum Civil Engineering

We need your support – donate to our Yellows Groundfunder today!

Leave a Reply