Match Report: Warrington Town 2-0 Scarborough Athletic

Warrington Town made it four wins in a row as Tony Gray and Jack Dunn struck in each half to secure a 2-0 victory over Scarborough Athletic.

The Yellows hit the front midway through the first half thanks to Gray’s composed finish in the area, before Dunn emphatically notched in second-half stoppage time to secure maximum points.

The Seadogs had chances through James Walshaw and Michael Coulson but could not find their way past an inspired Tony McMillan.

Paul Carden made two changes to his starting line-up, with Josh Amis returning alongside Tuesday’s match-winner Marcus Cusani, in place of Bohan Dixon and Jack Mackreth.

The play-off chasers came into the game off the back of an emphatic win at Bamber Bridge and started the game in a positive manner, with Walshaw forcing McMillan into a save with his dipping half-volley just two minutes in.

However, the Yellows’ quick passing started to click into gear, and shortly after Dunn’s driven ball into the area was somehow hacked away at the near post, Dave Raven ventured forward from the back, linked up with Gray and dragged his effort just wide of Tom Taylor’s left-hand post.

In a tight opening quarter, the closest either side came was through Ryan Watson who volleyed narrowly over the top after Wayne Brooksby’s right-wing cross was only half cleared.

Despite facing a trio of corners in quick succession, Warrington took the lead on 24 minutes. Following Mitch Duggan’s powerful header away, Dunn managed to get away from Luke Dean down the left before delivering a lovely ball towards Gray in the area. Remaining calm and composed, the striker cut back onto his left foot and slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

Less than 60 seconds after the goal, the Seadogs had the chance to strike back, but David Raven was in the right place to produce a sensational block to deny Michael Coulson’s goal-bound effort.

Undeterred, the visitors continued to press, and McMillan was forced into another smart stop to deny Ross Killock’s powerful header from a corner.

Set-pieces were becoming a real source of chances for both teams, and Mark Roberts almost doubled Town’s lead with a downwards header from Dunn’s floated corner, only to be denied by the left palm of Taylor.

As half-time approached, Scarborough would fashion one more chance. After Walshaw was brought down on the edge of the Warrington penalty box, Coulson struck a free-kick low and hard, but Robbie Evans and Josh Amis combined well to block his effort.

Warrington came out for the second period with real intensity and fashioned a great chance just seven minutes in. After being found on the left corner of the area, Gray cut back onto his right foot and produced a rasping drive that Taylor had to push behind.

Paul Carden’s side started to dictate proceedings as the second half progressed, and shortly after Taylor got down smartly to deny yet another Gray shot from the corner of the box, Cusani dribbled past his man on the right before seeing a whipped cross heading out of danger in the centre.

Connor McCarthy took the place of the injured Josh Amis with 20 minutes remaining and tried to make an immediate impact but couldn’t quite reach Adam Hughes’ ball down the left before the Scarborough keeper.

Warrington were inches away from scoring a second with little over 10 minutes remaining, as Jack Dunn’s deflected effort from the edge of the area hit the side-netting with Taylor a mere bystander. From the resultant corner, Ben Garrity rose well but could only head over the top.

At the other end, Scarborough had a great chance to equalise through substitute Flynn McNaughton, but McMillan was down superbly once again to deny his drilled effort across the face of goal.

As the game entered stoppage time, the visitors threw caution to the wind, but despite two half-shouts for a penalty, they were unable to find a way through, and Town wrapped up the win late in stoppage time.

After some lovely intricate passing, the ball founds the feet of Dunn in the area, and the playmaker drilled the ball beyond Taylor to make it 12 points from a possible 12.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Roberts, Raven, Hughes, Garrity, Evans, Cusani (Mackreth 61), Gray (Benjamin 80), Dunn, Amis (McCarthy 70)

Subs not used: Dixon, Vassallo

Scarborough Athletic: Taylor, Gooda, Lacey, Dean (Lofts 63), Burgess, Killock (Johnson 59), Brooksby, Watson, Walshaw, Coulson, Valentine (McNaughton 67)

Subs not used: Cadman, Merris

Attendance: 554

Leave a Reply