Match report | Warrington Town 2-2 Nantwich Town

JOSH Amis bundled home a late equaliser as Warrington Town rescued a point in a 2-2 draw at home to Nantwich Town.

After trailing to Joe Mwasile’s opener, the Yellows levelled things up early in the second half and looked like the only winner.

But Connor Heath struck five minutes from time against the run of play, only for a howler by Dabbers goalkeeper Greg Hall to gift the Yellows a deserved point in the 90th minute.

There was a change in system from Paul Carden, with Callum Grogan deployed from the start in a defensive central midfield position having impressed in the 2-1 win over his former club Radcliffe at the weekend.

The Yellows had the brighter of the opening exchanges, Michael Rose curling a shot wide of Hall’s right-hand post, before Nantwich started to assert some authority on the game, with Ben Harrison causing the home side a lot of problems in the attacking third.

Influential midfielder Sean Cooke was finding more and more room and it was from his shot, tipped wide by Charlie Albinson for a corner, that led to the first goal.

The ball in from Caspar Hughes wasn’t cleared, and when Cooke retrieved possession in the box, he clipped the ball up to the back post and former Yellows attacked Mwasile couldn’t miss with the header from three yards out.

It was very nearly a quickfire double for the Dabbers as Harrison found space between Mark Roberts and Matt Regan, and tried to lob Albinson, who at full stretch just managed to take the sting out of the shot and deny the chance.

Half time, much like it did on Saturday, changed the game – this time in the Yellows favour.

They restored parity barely three minutes after the restart, a superb ball by Charlie Munro from the centre circle brought down by Dunn, who then lofted over Hall for 1-1.

From then on, the Yellows looked most likely to get something from the game, as Nantwich set about protecting the point.

Rose opened up the Dabbers defence on the hour mark and Mitch Duggan’s ball across the face of goal deserved better from Jordan Buckley, who took the game to the visitors in the second half, and Bohan Dixon in the box.

Buckley came closest to putting the Yellows ahead on 74 minutes, shortly before he was forced off with a knock, rattling the post with a fiercely hit right-foot drive, as the hosts continued to enjoy the majority of possession and territory.

But they were dealt a killer blow five minutes from time, when substitute Connor Heath drove forward from half way, beyond a yellow-carded Rose who was reluctant to put a foot in, and then fired a superb finish across Albinson and in to the far corner.

That would have been cruel for the Yellows, but they were gifted a second goal in the final knockings of normal time, patiently playing the ball around the edge of the box, and when Duggan clipped the ball in, Hall claimed it, spilled at the feet of Amis, who didn’t need a second invitation to bury the chance.

Warrington remain top of the Northern Premier League ahead of Saturday’s visit to Lancaster City.

Warrington Town: Albinson, Grogan, Taylor, Munro, Roberts, Regan, Duggan, Rose, Buckley (Duffy), Dixon (Amis), Dunn (Mackreth). Unused subs: Amado, Holroyd.

Nantwich Town: Hall, Koral, Devine, Langley, Bourne, Harrison, Lawrie (McGowan), Hughes, Mwasile (Heath), Cooke, Webb. Unused subs: Saunders, McGowen, Heath, Stair, Hawkins.

Leave a Reply