Report: Ellesmere Port Ladies 2-4 Warrington Town Women

Warrington Town Women made it back-to-back league win thanks to an entertaining 4-2 victory at Ellesmere Port Ladies on Sunday. 

The Yellows Women looked to steal more points on the road after previously defeating Runcorn Linnets the week prior. Standing in their way was an Ellesmere Port side looking to bag another win as they previously triumphed against Altrincham.

The game kicked off, and straight away the Yellows were off to a quick start as they tried to find Sam Hassall within the first minute with a long ball but Port goalie Amy King came out of her net quickly to collect the ball and kill the attack.

The strong start was eventually rewarded as in the 11th minute, Lily Parsons gave the Yellows Women the lead, heading home Rachel Dickenson’s corner to find the breakthrough.

BUY NOW: Home tickets

Twenty-five minutes in, manager Kevin Larkin was forced to make a substitution as Town goalie Katie Donohue was injured after a late challenge in the air from a Port forward. Chloe Green played in goal and Ella Rigby was brought on to replace Donohue. Green played in goal the week prior against Runcorn Linnets, so this was not her first time between the posts.

A minute later, it was 2-0 as Dickenson whipped a ball over the top of Port’s defence and into the team’s top scorer Sam Hassall, who slotted it past the home goalkeeper.

Port soon pulled one back thanks to Nadine Sword’s finish off of a cross – the Yellows appealed for offside but the referee signalled for a goal.

A bunch of dangerous chances followed for the Yellows, but none could be converted into goals. Rigby and Hassall had one-on-one chances against King, but they were cleared by the defence or were saved.

Photo credit: Sean Walsh

The Yellows had momentum, but a penalty in stoppage time reignited Port’s spirits. Gia Portelli fouled a Port forward on the edge of the box and the referee, with a controversial decision, pointed to the spot.

Dickenson got sin-binned for dissent after she made her thoughts clear to the match official. Luckily for the Yellows, Green stepped up and made an amazing diving save to protect the one-goal lead. The half-time whistle followed shortly after, giving both teams a much needed breather after an eventful first half.

After the break, it was Port who got off to a quick start but no real chances or goals came for them. Dickenson soon returned to the pitch and the Yellows were back to 11.

In the 68th minute, Larkin made his second substitution of the game as Carla Burton replaced Lily Parsons, who suffered a knock after another late challenge from Port.

Not long afterwards, Hassall was on the board again as she received a great long ball from Emily Savage, kept her cool and chipped King to restore the Yellows’ two-goal lead.

SHOP NOW: Yellows merchandise

Moments later, Hassall was fouled outside the Port box and Dickenson stepped up to take the free-kick. She hit the ball and it travelled over the defensive wall and dipped towards the net, hit the bottom of the crossbar and went into the net over King’s head – the bench was ecstatic after such a beautiful shot extended Town’s lead even further.

Nearly 10 minutes passed as stoppage time approached, then Sword reduced the deficit by scoring another goal for the hosts.

Stoppage time came and Port maintained most of the possession but their chances weren’t dangerous enough to threaten the Yellows’ lead.

The women have now won their second game in a row and move up one place to 8th in the league table with 12 points from nine games. Six points separate Town from the top of the table.

We need your support – donate to our Yellows Groundfunder today!

Leave a Reply