Report: Morpeth Town 0-4 Warrington Town

Warrington Town moved up to second in the Northern Premier League with a fine 4-0 win away at Morpeth Town.

It was a near faultless display from the Yellows after a long trip to the north east, as Connor Woods opened the scoring with his first goal since joining the club permanently from Southport.

But for goalkeeper Dan Lowson, the visitors could have had eight or nine as they dominated the game from minute one.

Dec Walker’s free kick early in the second half gave the Yellows breathing space and further goals from Evan Gumbs and Josh Amis meant a scoreline that reflected their superiority.

SHOP NOW: Yellows merchandise

The Yellows started with a good tempo and it wasn’t long before they were calling Lowson in to action.

Even before then, Matty McDonald should have done better when he created space for himself on the edge of the box with a nice turn, but he fired over the bar.

It looked like skipper Amis had replicated his goal in the win over Liversedge on Saturday as he headed goalwards from a Woods cross, only for Lowson to claw it away one-handed.

Stefan Mols swept in to the side netting from Mitch Duggan’s cross, before Duggan himself was denied by Lowson with a low shot through bodies in the box.

Luke Duffy, whose trickery on the left caused Morpeth problems all night, then fired a rising shot over the bar after Lowson had flapped at a Woods cross, and then the ‘keeper got down to block a Woods cross at his near post.

Photo credit: Sean Walsh

The ball finally found the net on 34 minutes as Amis headed home from Woods’ cross, but the referee blew for a foul.

The deadlock was broken three minutes before the interval, with Duffy winning the ball back in midfield and launching a counter attack for Mols to poke through to Woods, who fired home in to the far corner for his seventh goal of the season.

Half time did little to break the pattern of the game and in the first five minutes of the second half, Mols was denied by a Jeff Henderson block and Woods had a shot go just wide.

The second goal came on 54 minutes when Mols was fouled. Walker, who had been a constant threat with his delivery and set pieces, found the net direct from a central free-kick from 30 yards out, off the inside of the post.

Morpeth made a double change to try and make something happen, but the Yellows continued to attack with Lowson saving well to deny Amis’ header and then saving McDonald’s shot to his right.

A third goal came on 75 minutes, as a quick free-kick opened up Morpeth down their left and Mols stood a ball up for Gumbs to head home, the second time this season they have combined for a goal against Morpeth.

AWAY TRAVEL: South Shields

Immediately from the kick-off, Duffy won the ball and drove in to the box, claiming a penalty for a foul off Michael Turner. The referee gave a corner, and from it, Walker’s delivery was bundled home with Amis appearing to get the last touch.

Substitute Jordan Buckley forced yet another save out of Lowson late on, though it mattered little as the Yellows had long secured an 18th match unbeaten and their first ever win in Morpeth, at the fourth attempt.

Morpeth Town: Lowson, Robson, Reid, Sayer (Ramsey), Henderson, Turner, John, Donaldson, Johnson, Chiabi, Pye (Fishburn). Unused subs: Anderson, Cornish, King.

Warrington Town: Thompson, Walker, Duggan, Hannigan, Gumbs, McDonald, Woods (Buckley-Ricketts), Mols, Amis (Buckley), Dixon (Harris), Duffy. Unused subs: White, Warren.

Buy tickets for our upcoming home matches at Cantilever Park!

Leave a Reply