Report: Scunthorpe United 1-0 Warrington Town

Warrington Town were unlucky not to come away with a point against National League North giants Scunthorpe United.

They fell to a 1-0 defeat, with Callum Roberts heading home a rebound early in the second half, but the hosts’ goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimons was named man of the match after a series of fine saves in response.

The pick of those denied a rising half volley from Josh Amis, while he also saved well from Connor Woods. Woods had a penalty shout denied late on and a chance fell just in front of Matty Grivosti at the death.

The Yellows had been given little chance against their full-time opponents, who were playing in the Championship barely 14 years ago, but they held their own and their performance probably deserved something cheered on by 160 travelling supporters as part of a crowd of 3,527.

DONATE: Yellows Groundfunder

While Scunthorpe monopolised early possession, the Yellows stayed patient and started to frustrate the hosts, winning the ball back in their half and launching attacks of their own.

Woods had a speculative shot comfortably saved by Fitzsimons and then a marauding run through the middle by Bohan Dixon was ended by a foul, the free kick from which Dec Walker curled wide.

The best chance of the first half fell to Amis, who played a nice one-two with Mitch Duggan on the right, and the defender’s cross was steered goalwards by Amis and tipped over the bar.

Although Atherton was relatively untroubled at the other end, both Kian Scales and Jacob Butterfield steered dangerous balls right across the face of goal.

Photo credit: Sean Walsh

Attacker Roberts was introduced at half time and within eight minutes he had broken the deadlock. Butterfield hit a wicked shot from 20 yards that Atherton pushed on to the crossbar, the rebound falling nicely for Roberts to nod in from yards out.

The Yellows wobbled, and both Butterfield and Law were only denied by last ditch challenges in the box.

But as the game entered the final quarter, they settled back down again and were soon creating chances. Fitzsimons got across well to save from Woods, who had cut in from the left and shot right-footed, before both Woods and Hannigan almost steered the subsequent corner goalwards.

The best save came on 79 minutes, Tom Hannigan chesting down for Amis, who had held the ball up well all game, and he struck it first time with Fitzsimons, who played in the National League for Chesterfield last season, tipping over the bar.

SHOP NOW: Yellows merchandise

As the clock ticked to 90 minutes, Woods was barged into in the box to appeals from the visitors, but the referee waved them away and unlike on Tuesday night at Darlington, the Yellows were unable to find a late equaliser.

They are back in league action next Saturday at home to Tamworth, with a Cheshire Senior Cup trip to Ashville in-between on Tuesday night.

Scunthorpe United: Fitzsimons, Kouogun (Roberts), Evans, Boyce, Clunan, Butterfield (Elliott), Scales, Smith (Shrimpton), Law, Denton, Whitehall. Unused subs: Wilson, Jenkins.

Warrington Town: Atherton, Walker (Bennett), White, Hannigan, Woods, Williams, Amis, Dixon, Buckley-Ricketts (Grivosti), Duggan, Clarke. Unused subs: Goudie, Sinnott, Gill.

We need your support – donate to our Yellows Groundfunder today!

Leave a Reply