Report: Warrington Town 0-1 Marske United

Warrington Town slipped to a second defeat in the space of a week at home to Marske United on Saturday afternoon.

Andrew May’s sixth-minute header proved enough to earn all three points for the visitors, who survived intense Yellows pressure in the second half.

It means Town have now lost back-to-back games and slip to eighth in the NPL Premier Division table.

The Yellows were without the suspended Jay Harris and the injured Matty McDonald but were able to welcome Mitch Duggan and Bohan Dixon back into the side.

They were aiming to bounce back quickly from the midweek loss at Whitby Town, but they made the worst possible start.

BUY TICKETS: Upcoming games at Cantilever Park

After the Yellows could only half-clear a corner, the ball was returned to Oliver Green who swung in a left-footed cross for May to plant a header beyond Tony Thompson.

In truth, that was the only goalmouth action of a dour first-half, with the hosts struggling to create chances and the visitors happy to sit on their one-goal lead.

Town lifted the intensity after the break but could have found themselves further behind just after the hour mark when Adam Boyes beat Evan Gumbs to a long ball forward and strode through one-on-one, but he chipped over the bar when it seemed easier to score.

Photo credit: Sean Walsh

Shortly afterwards, the Yellows had their clearest sight of goal and Stefan Mols could consider himself incredibly unfortunate not to have scored.

First, he glanced a header off the crossbar after being found by half-time substitute Dec Walker’s cross and when Andy White found him again seconds later from the other side, his header came off the post.

SHOP NOW: Yellows merchandise

Referee Chris Porter then waved away a huge penalty appeal from the home side as substitute Luke Duffy appeared to be fouled in the box before Mols’ curling free kick was beaten away by home stopper Michael Roxburgh.

As Town pushed, however, Marske had opportunities on the counter-attack and Thompson saved well from one-such chance as Donald Chimalilo stormed through.

The visitors held on for the three points and the Yellows must recover in time for next weekend’s FA Trophy tie with Guiseley at Cantilever Park.

Warrington Town: Thompson, Duggan (Walker), White, Hannigan, Gumbs, Dixon, Mols, Williams, Amis (Duffy), Woods, Clarke (Buckley-Ricketts). Sub not used: Mfuni

Marske United: Roxburgh, Sikora, McAvoy (Smith), Kennedy, May, Storey, Vaughan, Green, Boyes, McDonald, Chimalilo. Subs not used: Gell, Benjamin-Potts, Yaqub, Shelmani

Join us at Cantilever Park for our upcoming home fixtures!

Leave a Reply