Report: Warrington Town 0-2 Gainsborough Trinity

Two first half goals from Liam Waldock sent injury-hit Warrington Town to a 2-0 defeat at home to Gainsborough Trinity.

Waldock finished well from Clayton Donaldson’s pass on a counter-attack before beating an offside flag to clinically despatch a second six minutes later.

Missing front men Josh Amis, Jordan Buckley, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts and Mikey Howard, the Yellows struggled for goal threat and succumbed to a fourth league defeat of the season.

As well as the aforementioned four, the Yellows were also without the suspended Bohan Dixon, while Stefan Mols was only fit enough to start on the bench, with Teddy Mfuni and Josh Seary also carrying knocks from Saturday’s win at Hebburn Town.

LATEST NEWS: Eddie Clarke makes Yellows return

It meant a first start for the club for Dec Walker, while on-loan Southport winger Connor Woods had to start as the lone frontman.

The game was slow to get going but just as the Yellows looked to start to assert their authority, they were struck with a sucker punch on the counter attack.

The ball was cleared up field for Donaldson, and he managed to steer it across to Waldock, flying forward from midfield to guide the ball home first-time with his right foot.

Photo credit: Karl Vallantine

Warrington immediately created their first chance of the match, Andy White hitting a rising shot over the bar after Matty McDonald and Luke Duffy had shots blocked.

But they fell 2-0 behind on 26 minutes when Mitch Duggan was dispossessed on the edge of the box and Waldock was slid in, and though he looked offside, he didn’t wait for a flag and opened up his body up well to steer it home inside the far post.

It could have been three before the break when Finley Shrimpton was released down the middle, Tony Thompson getting down to save well.

SHOP NOW: Yellows merchandise

For the second successive Tuesday night, the hosts had a mountain to climb at the break, and though they chucked what they could at it, they couldn’t find a breakthrough.

McDonald had a shot cleared off the line from a White pull-back, before substitute Clarke had a shot saved at close range by Matt Yates.

Mols was only fit enough for the final quarter of an hour, and he twice came close to scoring, somehow not getting on the end of Seary’s ball flashed across the box and then heading over from Clarke’s cross from the left.

The Yellows have now won four, drawn four and lost four in the league this season ahead of Saturday’s trip to Liversedge.

Warrington Town: Thompson, Duggan, White, Hannigan (Seary), Gumbs, Harris, Walker (Clarke), Williams (Mols), Woods, McDonald, Duffy. Unused subs: Mfuni, Murray.

Gainsborough Trinity: Yates, Hornshaw, Lewis (West), Rice, Cann, Cogill, Durose, Waldock, Donaldson, Shrimpton (Cursons), Dyche (Wright). Unused subs: Bishop, Wilson.

Get kitted out in the latest Yellows merchandise by visiting our club shop!

Leave a Reply