Report: Warrington Town 2-1 Nantwich Town

Isaac Buckley-Ricketts headed the winner six minutes from time as Warrington Town returned to winning ways by beating Nantwich Town 2-1.

Buckley-Ricketts had earlier given the Yellows the lead, barely moments after he had been switched to centre forward when Jordan Buckley was forced off injured.

Daniel Cockerline’s equaliser on the stroke of half-time had pegged the Yellows back but they stayed patient and Buckley-Ricketts got on the end of a Sean Williams cross to earn the points.

After Saturday’s defeat to Ashton United, the Yellows brought in Buckley and Luke Duffy from the start and they began in positive fashion.

BUY TICKETS: Home games at Cantilever Park

Inside the first minute, back-to-back corners ended in a half chance for Duffy being dragged wide.

Buckley’s first chance came on six minutes as he latched on to Josh Seary’s slide rule pass, though his shot was scuffed and rolled through to the ‘keeper.

It was in the process of shooting that Buckley picked up a knock that would eventually lead to his withdrawal shortly before the half hour mark, despite his efforts to continue.

Photo credit: Sean Walsh

That substitution inadvertently became a masterstroke, as Buckley-Ricketts moved inside to accommodate Mikey Howard and within moments he created the first goal.

Buckley-Ricketts’ touch on half way took him away from Troy Bourne and he raced away on goal, kept his balance and poked a shot through Louis Gray for 1-0.

Nantwich responded well to the goal and soon after created their first chance, Joel Grant forcing Tony Thompson to get down to his right with a smart stop.

But they got back on terms in first half injury time as the Yellows failed to clear the lines on the right, the ball was played in for Cockerline and he held off Tom Hannigan to turn and shoot past Thompson.

SHOP NOW: 2022/23 WTFC Kits

The second half turned in to a midfield battle with both sides struggling to create clear cut chances.

Williams’ delivery had threatened to open up Nantwich a couple of times and then eventually it came off in the 84th minute.

His dangerous free-kick bounced around the box and was only half cleared back for Williams, who whipped in a near post cross that was nodded in by Buckley-Ricketts.

Warrington Town are next in action in the FA Cup away at Morpeth Town on Saturday.

Warrington Town: Thompson, Seary, White, Hannigan, Gumbs, Harris, Buckley-Ricketts, Williams (McDonald), Buckley (Howard), Dixon, Duffy (Mols).

Nantwich Town: Gray, Edwards (Heath), Bircumshaw, Stair, Bourne, Sherratt, Lawton (Moran), Robbins, Cockerline, Cooke (Leitch-Smith), Grant. Unused subs: Mwasile, Castellano-Galvez.

Photo credit: Sean Walsh

Join us at Cantilever Park for our upcoming home fixtures!

Leave a Reply