Report: Warrington Town 3-1 Liversedge

Warrington Town returned to action after consecutive postponements with a 3-1 win over Liversedge.

The enforced three-week break following the momentous 1-0 win at home to Bamber Bridge on March 4 left them looking a bit rusty in the first half as the lowly Yorkshiremen took the game to the hosts.

While the Yellows were hunting points for their promotion push, Liversedge were desperate to build on a mini three-match unbeaten run in their fight for survival.

There could be no complaints when they took the lead on 17 minutes, the unfortunate Tom Hannigan diverting Jack Carr’s right-wing free-kick in to his own net.

AWAY TRAVEL: South Shields

It could have been two moments later when George Proctor burst through the middle to go one-on-one with Tony Thompson, and though he slid his shot beyond the ‘keeper it went just wide of the far post.

Thompson then got down well to deny Walton before the Yellows were gifted a route back in to the match.

Luke Duffy drew a foul in the box from Jack Stockdill that didn’t really need to be made, and from it, Bohan Dixon stepped up and kept his cool from 12 yards for his third goal in four games.

That prompted a flurry of Yellows chances, as new signing Connor Woods forced a smart save by Jordan Porter, tipping a low shot wide for a corner, and then Dec Walker’s drive was held by Porter at his near post.

But other than that spell, Liversedge were more than good value for the 1-1 scoreline and might have felt aggrieved not to be in front at the break.

Photo credit: Sean Walsh

The game continued in the same vain and Liversedge struck the woodwork on the hour mark, when Walker sliced a free-kick on to his own crossbar.

The Yellows had made very little in the second half but should have had a penalty on 68 minutes when Woods cut inside his man and was wrestled down in the box, only for the referee to determine the foul had been made just on the edge.

After Thompson had again saved well to deny Nicholas Walker, it was Mark Beesley’s substitutes that won the game for the hosts.

Skipper Josh Amis had been denied by a fine Daniel Ellis tackle in the box moments before he darted to the front post to head home a superb cross from Woods to make it 2-1.

It was far from game over though, although Liversedge struggled to fashion any clear openings for the rest of it, and Isaac Buckley-Ricketts put the icing on the cake deep in to stoppage time.

SHOP NOW: Yellows merchandise

Liversedge ‘keeper Porter had spent some time receiving treatment but with all substitutions already used, remained on the pitch, and his injury problem meant he was second to Thompson’s long ball and Buckley-Ricketts poked it round him and walked it in to the back of the net.

The Yellows are 17 games unbeaten and they head to Morpeth Town for the second of six games in 16 days.

Warrington Town: Thompson, Walker, Duggan (White), Hannigan, Gumbs, Harris, Woods, McDonald (Buckley-Ricketts), Buckley (Amis), Dixon, Duffy. Unused subs: Mols, Warren.

Liversedge: Poter, Carr (Cartman), Stewart, Proctor (Smith), Ellis, Barrett, Smythe, Stockdill, Walton, Atkinson (Stone), Walker. Unused subs: Hardacre, Guilfoyle.

Buy tickets for our upcoming home matches at Cantilever Park!

Leave a Reply