Report: Warrington Town Women 6-0 Northwich Vixens

Warrington Town Women returned to winning ways with a 6-0 victory over Northwich Vixens on Sunday.

After previously suffering a 2-0 defeat whilst hosting Ellesmere Port, the game was dominated by Town and could easily have been a much higher scoreline, but many chances for the Yellows did not result in a goal.

Rachel Dickenson did not play due to previously suffering from an injury. Chloe Green and Sam Hassall also didn’t play, so the girls were very proud to come out on top with a win whilst having top players missing.

The Vixens got the game underway, and straight away the Yellows got their first real chance of the game as Nicola Chatterley drove into the box and lobbed the ball over a Northwich defender and to Ella Rigby whose header travelled high and wide of goalkeeper Chloe Polut and her net.

The quick start continued and Town hit the post twice in the space of three minutes early on in the half.

BOOK: Scunthorpe Utd away travel

In the 15th minute, Vixens had a free kick just outside of the box which forced Katie Donohue to make a relatively easy save. The Yellows shot-stopper returned to the line-up after being injured for the previous month, and despite not having much to do in the game, she still used her authority to command and guide the women.

In the same minute, manager Kevin Larkin was forced to make a substitution as new international signing Michelle Baum, who made her first start as a Yellow, suffered an injury and was replaced by Hannah Rhodes.

In the 22nd minute, the Yellows finally had the breakthrough as Ella Rigby rifled the ball into the net from long range to make it 1-0.

Just three minutes later, the lead was doubled through Gia Portelli, who played in midfield for most of the game. Her shot from the edge of the box flew past Polut and into the net to give Town a 2-0 advantage.

Chances kept coming for the women, but all of these either travelled off-target or were saved by Polut. That was up until the 44th minute, when Ellie Anderson hit the ball past Polut to make it 3-0.

45 minutes in, the referee blew his whistle to signal the end of the first half. Larkin liked what he saw from the sidelines, but he knew the women had a lot more in them and encouraged them to be more ruthless.

Photo credit: Sean Walsh

It wasn’t long until the Yellows had a fourth goal. Town got the game back underway and just five minutes into the second half, the Yellows extended their lead further through Kerry Baker, who hit a beautiful free-kick from 30 yards out. The ball travelled over the wall and dipped perfectly into the top corner – an unstoppable shot that reinforced the lead for the hosts!

In the 59th minute, Larkin made some more substitutions as Sophie McDonald and Megan Osborne replaced Ellie Anderson and Carla Burton. Michelle Baum also returned to the pitch in the 66th minute to replace Ella Rigby.

Just moments later, the Yellows bagged another goal as Nicola Chatterley dribbled through the Vixens defence and towards Polut, where she buried the ball past the Northwich goalkeeper.

Chatterley had chances all game on the left wing and created many threatening attacks, so she would have been relieved to finally get her name on the scoresheet.

In the 72nd minute, Ella Rigby came on to relieve POTM Danielle Burns – a controlling performance from her in the midfield meant that the Yellows kept possession and created chances for most of the game.

Moments later, Michelle Baum almost got her first goal as a Yellow as her shot curled just wide of the top corner.

SHOP NOW: Yellows merchandise

In the 82nd minute, Larkin made his final substitutions as he brought on Ellie Anderson and Danielle Burns to replace Nicola Chatterley and Gia Portelli.

Just a minute later, Ellie Anderson had possession in the box and was brought down, forcing the referee to point to the spot. Kerry Baker stepped up to take the penalty, and she made no mistake with the finish as she sent it into the top corner for her second goal and the Yellows’ sixth of the game.

Despite the little amount of time left, Town kept pushing for more goals, but no more balls ended up in the net before the final whistle.

Victory means the Yellows climb three places up in the table and now sit in 5th, with 18 points from 12 games. They are just three points outside of the top three.

They next host 11th-placed Litherland REMYCA on Sunday 19 November, who they previously beat on the road with a 7-0 victory.

We need your support – donate to our Yellows Groundfunder today!

Comments (1)

  1. @machinsports

    Hi, @theyellowswomen – match pics including celebration shots from todays 2-2 draw at Mossley Hill ladies.

Leave a Reply