Unbeaten run continues at home

Warrington Town’s unbeaten run extended to 10 in the Pitching In Northern Premier League Premier Division following a 1-1 draw with Radcliffe. 

Jordan Buckley headed the Yellows in to a second half lead to make him the joint top scorer in the league with 13.

But Bobby Grant restored his place at the top of the goalscorers chart by converting a 69th minute penalty to give the visitors a share of the spoil.

In Mark Beesley’s second league home game in charge, it was another relatively open and entertaining affair.

Although the Yellows struggled for width with their diamond midfield formation that saw Stefan Mols restored to the starting line-up, they created the better of the first half openings.

Mols and Sean Williams had early shots charged down and then Buckley was blocked by former Yellows midfielder Simon Lenighan after haring on to a quick kick by Dan Atherton.

Buckley dragged a shot wide on 16 minutes and then headed James Baillie’s cross in to the side-netting.

Despite the Yellows having the better chances, Radcliffe shaded the first half in terms of possession and territory.

They looked to have real purpose in the final third, and should have done more to trouble Atherton, especially when Kole Hall lashed wide from inside the box.

Radcliffe ‘keeper Cameron Belford helped keep the score goalless at the break, coming out quick to deny Josh Amis’ run through and then back-pedalling to tip Luke Duffy’s speculative long range effort over the bar.

The Yellows started the second half strongly and within a minute of the restart, Amis crashed a shot against the bar on the turn.

They didn’t have to wait long to break the deadlock, Buckley stooping to head Mols’ cross in to the top right corner, though Belford ought to have kept it out having got a strong hand to the ball.

Buckley had a big chance to double the lead on the hour, poked through by Mols, and his shot was well saved low by Belford.

Belford also denied Luke Duffy before against the run of play, Radcliffe were handed a lifeline.

A ball from the left was hit wide by Callum Gribben, but he was taken out by a sliding Mark Roberts.

Grant’s well-struck penalty beat Atherton for 1-1.

The equaliser rocked the Yellows and they struggled to impose themselves in the final quarter, particularly as Radcliffe had thrown on big forward Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro shorlty before the goal.

In the end they had to settle for a second 1-1 draw in four days ahead of Saturday’s final home match before Christmas against Scarborough Athletic.

Warrington Town: Atherton, Baillie, Regan, Harris, Roberts, Gumbs, Mols (Grivosti), Williams, Buckley, Amis (Dixon), Duffy. Unused subs: Duggan, J McDonald, Hough.

Radcliffe: Belford, Crothers, Hanley (Rydel), Thornley, Cummings, Lenighan, Navarro (Akpa-Akpro), Baxter, Hall, Grant (Spinelli), Gribbin. Unused subs: Taylor, Miller.

Leave a Reply